The objectives of the Museum of Cretan Herbs and the Botanical Garden of the OAC are:
- Scientific (the study of the flora of Crete, and contribution to its utilization),
- Educational (the education of school and university students, and the people and friends of Crete in general),
- Ecological (raising awareness and caring for the flora of Crete, in cooperation with other municipalities and other services, scientific and ecological bodies, with particular emphasis on the care of species of endemic herbs under the threat of extinction, and new species of endemic herbs that have just been discovered, etc.),
- Cultural (promotion of the aesthetic and touristic value of the natural beauty of Crete), and
- Social (creation of jobs).
Since 2007 the Museum of Cretan Herbs has been a member of the Planta EuropaNetwork.