The goals of the Museum of Cretan Herbs and the Botanical Garden are the following:
- Scientific (study of the Cretan flora and contribution to its utilization).
- Educational (information provided to pupils, students and people and friends of Crete in general)
- Ecological (raising awareness about and caring for the flora of Crete, in co-operation with the Municipalities and other Public Services, scientific and ecological Bodies, with a special emphasis on the care for endemic, endangered plant species, new species of endemic herbs recently discovered, etc.)
- Cultural (promotion oft he aesthetic and touristic worth oft he natural beauty of Crete) and
- Social (creation of jobs).
Since 2007, the Museum of Cretan Herbs is a member of Planta EuropaNetwork.