After a theoretical approach to the icon as such the participants are taught the
technique of Byzantine icon painting. In parallel, they get acquainted with different
expressions of Byzantine tradition, as well as other techniques used for different types of icon painting (portable icons, fresco, painting on canvas, mosaic). The materials used are selected according to the Byzantine manner and tradition.
The technique of painting a portable icon
The main emphasis lies on the portable icon painting. The participants will learn and practice the techniques that are being applied during the different phases of its creation.
Parallel to the practical section of their training, the participants get information on the theoretical framework of Byzantine iconography. The OAC scientific advisors, but also academics and others deliver lectures on the theology of icons and the history of iconography.
During the courses, the participants will visit places directly connected to the hagiographic tradition of the Orthodox Church, as it was experienced in the island of Crete. They have the opportunity to admire and study masterpieces of Byzantine and post-Byzantine art; many of them are to be found in their ‘natural place‘, in the churches and the monasteries.
Possible destinations in the Prefecture of Chania are:
- Holy Monastery of Gonia
- Holy Monastery of Chrysopigi
- Holy Monastery of Gouverneto
- Holy Monastery of Agia Triada Tsangarolon
- As also in the Prefecture of Rethimnon: Holy Monastery of Arkadi
Furthermore, important destinations are the Churches:
- Archangel Michael - Rotonda
- St. Titos (Herakleion)
- St. Menas ( Herakleion)
- St. Catherine of Sinai (Museum of Christian Art/ Herakleion)
- But also the various Byzantine churches of Kantanos and the Workshop for Icon Conservation (Department of Byzantine Antiquities)
The OAC Iconography seminars take place in the frame of the following programs:
- For people living on the island of Crete: Once a week, for three years.
- For groups from other regions of Greece and from abroad: Intensive courses of 7 -10 days. The participants stay at the OAC (accommodation in single or double rooms
- and meals).
- Individual courses.
At the end of the courses, the participants receive a certificate from the OAC confirming their participation.
For further information and registration please get in contact with Konstantina Stefanaki, iconographer of the OAC e-mail: [email protected] otenet.gr.
Dates of the iconography seminars
18 - 19.4. 2017 - Programme
13-20.10.2017 - Programme
14-21.3.2018 - Programme